I’m so pleased this year’s Advent and Christmas season will again be filled with a variety of special events, IN AND BEYOND worship. We’re bringing back and updating favorite pastimes.
- The PW COOKIE EXCHANGE Dec 10 th , (which is now a house party at the Croziers), starting @ 5PM which follows with a delicious chili supper with fellowship and all the fixins’.
We’ll need this after:
- HANGING OF THE GREENS (10-12, Dec 10 th ), which is a time-honored tradition and an important ministry. It is literally an indoor/outdoor and high wire act. Not Kidding! We need your help!
We’re also bringing back:
- Christmas Luncheon at Marilyn Ward’s, which is always full of fellowship, goodies and a rich devotional. (Noon on Dec 14th ).
December 18th is a big day that hosts and boasts both our annual Cantata followed by our treasured Christmas Dinner. The theme is “Following the Star to Bethlehem”. Karaoke is the way you’ll get fed!
Christmas Eve will be as special as it has always been.
- 5PM for the Family Candlelight Service this year, with Communion
- Late Candlelight Service (probably @ 10:30PM) The poll is 50/50 as I write this.
After way too long of having to “Social Distance”, this year I want to call us to the very the opposite of that. Roget’s Thesaurus posits that the antonyms for distancing are: “juncture, association, union, attachment and connection”. While not all of these might be a good correlate for eliminating social distancing in the church sphere, you get my point.
The leadership and the staff of this church has (and is doing) everything we can to make this faith community as meaningful, connected and as relevant as possible. This is an endeavor meant to be carried out by the entire faith community; member or friend, regular, visitor, newbie and those we have missed.
If we ALL invite at least one person back…or TO even ONE of these events, then we will have MORE people following the star to Bethlehem.
While we won’t formally celebrate Epiphany until January (when the 3 Wiseman followed the star to Bethlehem to bear gifts to the King) I wonder and hope that it wasn’t just the three of them. It may have been, but I doubt it. They needed help to ‘score’ the Frankincense, Gold and Myrrh. They needed help packing the food and water for the journey. They probably needed camel wranglers, fire starters, weather forecasters, tent pitchers, cooks, cleaner-uppers, not to mention people to say prayers to the Creator of the Cosmos who made the STAR appear, signifying that God had changed their lives and the whole world.
Isn’t that something you want to invite a friend to witness and experience, at least at some point in the next 25 days?
God…I hope so…
Seeking to invite friends for the journey with you,